Tuesday 22 July 2014

Crop Top Crushin'

The summer months have always been my favourite. There's something about the mid-afternoon Pimms', al fresco dining and sun-kissed beach hair that keeps me in high spirits throughout the entire season; not to mention the inconvenience of covering up a well-planned outfit with a coat, no longer being an issue. (Just me?)

Other than (more than one too many) cocktails being a seasonal highlight, cute summer fashion trends come in a close second. Each year I seem to love 4 or 5 different looks and base my whole wardrobe around them, adding accessories and staple pieces as I go to make each trend my own. This year, in particular, I adore crop tops and bralets alike; after all, who doesn't love a cheeky flash of midriff to break up a summer ensemble?

Vacationing on the Greek island of Kefalonia this summer meant that crop tops and bralets made a frequent appearance. For a sophisticated, night time look, I chose to style them with either a pair of high waisted, tailored shorts or a floaty, maxi skirt and wedges. I once read from a wise source that the key to keeping crop tops classy is to never let your belly button be exposed and I totally swear by this golden rule. (Otherwise you may run the risk of looking like a trashy, 90's Britney throwback.....)



I chose to wear this pink gingham crop with high waisted, tailored shorts (and matching pink gingham underwear, courtesy of Gilly Hicks #OCD #TMI?). I also kept my jewellery minimalist by opting for a simple, white cuff necklace paired with baby pink flower earrings (both a la Topshop). On my feet I wore wedges with a baby pink strap and of course my toe nails were pink too, duh!




The inspiration for my off-the-shoulder crop came from Kendall Jenner's boho chic style at Coachella earlier this year. I loved the way she teamed a cropped blouse with a flowing maxi and statement jewellery, however I opted for black wedges and a clutch instead of flats for a more dressy, night time look. The beauty of this look is that I can also don my black sandals and faithful Chanel sunnies to channel my inner KJ for a more laid back, day time look as the summer goes on.



This pink satin crop is by far one of the comfiest tops I own. To contrast the loose fitting nature of the crop, I paired it with high waisted, tailored shorts to create a more sophisticated tone to an easily dressed down top. I'm sure I'll be wearing it tons of times on those breezy evenings throughout August and September with my high waisted white jeans and pink, Zara dolly shoes for an equally chic yet practical look.



Less is more; that's the way I'd sum up this cream 'Emmelie Crepe' bralet (which I couldn't help buying in black too; you can never have enough black). I chose to wear it with a high waisted, pink maxi for a super girly look, however I've found it to be a staple item in my wardrobe as the colours can be mixed and matched with a variety of skirts, shorts and trousers.



There's no denying that this black, lace bralet is my favourite of all my crops. The sheer lace panels create a sophisticated look, without showing too much midriff. I teamed it with a high waisted, black maxi and wedges with a black strap, along with a black clutch that mimics the swirls of the lace. (Black, black, black...) I opted for a contrasting white necklace to add a pop of colour to the ensemble; it is summer, after all.


Pink Gingham Crop - New Look (Online only)
Off-The-Shoulder Crop - H&M
Pink Satin Crop - Missguided
Cream Bralet - Missguided
Black Lace Bralet - Missguided

High Waisted Tailored Shorts - Missguided
Black Maxi - New Look
Pink Maxi - New Look

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the black and white outfit, very cute!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I've tagged you in the Leibster Award post which is a little harmless fun. If you want to join in, here's the link: http://linearchic.blogspot.com/2014/07/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have gorgeous eyes:) And love all the outfits, especially the last one (satin crop top). Would you want to check out my blog and follow me on bloglovin & gfc (I follow back instantly),

    xx,
    http://trendythursday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete